This is not...

Sunday, April 6, 2008
When I first started doing the program I was really dismayed by how little I did know about all the topics listed - but I believe that now I'm at the end of the program I have become a lot more confident in using the applications and have gained a rudimentary knowledge of all things on the program-but by no means an expert in any of them.
Being a visual type of person I particularly liked YouTube, Flickr, and Mashups. 
There were so many things that I discovered and will need to explore further, that this is really not the end for me.
I am also hoping to go back and do the Adventures as I did not do all of them as I was going through the program. I will also have time to look at some other blogs and comment on them- I always got a kick out of knowing that people had looked at my posts.
The program has made me excited about the endless possibilities of using these tools in both my personal and professional life.
The biggest challenges to incorporating some of these applications into our work environment are
  • TIME to build an interactive library (I was unable to do any of this program at work-and I know this is the same for a lot of my colleagues)
  • GETTING PERMISSION to incorporate some of these social networking tools into our existing web site (how many times does Web Marshall block just normal queries)
  • GETTING our patrons to participate and give feedback (it's hard enough to get them to come to talks within the library)
But I think it would be worth trying.

I really can't give enough thanks to the Public Library Services team at the State Library of NSW, who put this program together and gave hundreds of library staff the opportunity to expand and develop their knowledge of Web 2.0.
I look forward to participating in any other Lifelong Learning programs that may be offered in the future.

"If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking" ~ Buddhist Saying

0 comments: