Who needs a Second Life?

Sunday, April 6, 2008

I thought I would take a quick look at some articles and videos about Second Life-huh- I have been looking and reading for over a week. At first I thought "what a great idea" and it would really appeal to younger people, but now I'm really not sure. The need for a good computer system and broadband in order to even download the program I think will make it prohibitive to a lot of our clients-even myself. Do I really have time to get involved- the answer is quite simply NO.
I must admit I find it all very fascinating but could also see how much time I could waste in Second Life. Lori Bell, the Director of Innovation for the Alliance Library System, who helped set up Info Island states that "80% of Internet users will be in a virtual world by 2011"-maybe I'm just too old!!! she also states that "We are investigating and offering library services to people who might not otherwise come to the library and we have an international community of librarians and educators working together to provide high quality services" I think that the idea of collaboration with other libraries is beneficial (for not duplicating services) especially as there are now 20 islands within the Information Archipelago providing educational services.
I did not want to get too bogged down in Second Life so I thought I would just quickly look at the contribution that Australia was making, and was interested to have a look at the Australian Libraries building on Cybrary City, it is a two storey granite building surrounded by Eucalyptus trees. The YouTube video I have included is entitled 'Second Life library objects in Australian Libraries Building'
I thought it was also worth reading a paper by Kathryn Greenhill called "Do we remove all the walls? Second Life librarianship."
Don't get me wrong I thought that all the service that were being provided on Info Island were terrific-reference services, computers linked to databases, genealogy area, audio books, theatres, medical library and the different areas for genre sections eg Mystery Manor and lots more...and I loved The C19th library in Caledon and thought that the library in Teen Second Life will be really good for young people BUT I just think it will take many years before we (meaning our library service) will have a place in Second Life-I may be very wrong...let's wait and see!!!
You know the really good thing would be that I could make my avatar look really young and cool...
Yahoo! Avatars U.K. & Ireland

"To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else"~ Emily Dickinson

0 comments: